10 interesting tidbits about Australia that you may or may not know
- It is the smallest continent by land size but the second least populated continent after Antarctica.
- It is the only continent that is also an island and a single country.
- It is the world’s oldest continent and it also has the oldest continuous culture dating at least 50,000 years.
- It’s is the sixth largest country by area and mainland Australia is the largest island in the world.
- Australia’s seasons are the reverse of those in the northern hemisphere…winter is June to August and summer is December to February.
- Australia is the second driest continent after Antarctica with average rainfall below 600mm a year in 80% of the continent and under 300 mm in the remaining 20%.
- Australia is home to around 250 marsupial species; nearly half of the country’s bird population and 87% of its mammals are endemic.
- Australia’s capital, Canberra, has its own territory, Australian Capital Territory (ACT), which is the only completely inland territory or state in Australia.
- Australia is consistently rated as one of the world’s safest holiday destinations (according to consumer research).
- The south coast of Australia is home to the smallest penguins in the world. Often referred to as fairy penguins, they grow to about 33 cm (13 inches).
ACT is missing from this map. Do you know its location? Download the map, draw on your best guess, then upload in the comments.